Department of Social & Health Services (Lewis County)


151 NE Hampe Way Chehalis, WA 98532


46.6875365114, -122.957303139



When you’re in need, DSHS is the first place you should turn. Low income Lewis County residents can qualify for cash benefits, food stamps, medical care and many other essential programs through DSHS.

Food Benefits

If you are low income, you may qualify for food stamps. To calculate how much you will receive in EBT/SNAP benefits, please click here to use this calculator. 

If you have very little money and need food, you may qualify for emergency food assistance and expedited application processing. Click here for more information.

Cash Benefits

Many DSHS benefits offer cash assistance. These include:

  • Aged, Blind or Disabled (ABD) provides a maximum monthly cash payment of $197 to low income adults who are age 65+, blind OR likely to meet Supplemental Security Income (SSI) guidelines.
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides cash benefits to low income families who meet certain requirements. You may be required to participate in the WorkFirst program for benefits. You can only receive 60 months of TANF benefits in your entire life.
  • Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) provides a maximum of $420 per month to eligible refugees. The amount you receive will decrease as your income increases.
  • Pregnant Women Assistance (PWA) is available for low income women who are not eligible for TANF or SFA. The maximum monthly payment is $197.
  • Diversion Cash Assistance (DCA) provides up to $1,250 in cash to families who have a short term need and do not want to enroll in TANF. Families who receive DCA funds will have to repay a portion if they enroll in TANF within the next 12 months.
  • Additional Requirements for Emergent Needs (AREN) provides emergency payments for emergency needs, such as rent and utility deposits, back rent, home repairs, relocation to flee domestic violence or leave unsafe housing, short-term lodging such as hotels if absolutely necessary and utility shutoff prevention.

The Housing and Essential Needs (HEN) program can provide limited funds for rent and utilities. This program also provides personal health, hygiene, and cleaning supplies. Transportation assistance is also included.

DSHS also has resources that can ensure you receive the child support payments you are entitled to. If you are receiving cash or food benefits from DSHS, you will automatically receive help from the Division of Child Support. You can also call 1-800-442-KIDS for more information.

Child Care Services

DSHS offers Child Care Subsidies that can help cover the cost of child care for low income working parents. Find more information by clicking here. 

Medical Services

DSHS provides medical benefits (Medicaid) to low income families. This coverage pays for doctor’s office visits, emergency room visits, prescriptions and family planning services. 

Voter Registration Assistance

The staff at DSHS can help you register to vote.

Leave a review

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.